Monday, May 08, 2006

Further to my last post...


I'd like to talk a little more about Australian music, cause something's really pissing me off (and I don't have much else to think about right now cause I'm on my break from school and I'm a little bored).

There is a clear lack of appreciation for the rock and roll machine that is AC/DC. For example, I went to Melbourne on somewhat of a pilgrimage to find AC/DC lane. Well, to put it mildly, they stuck my heroes, these legends, on some shithole sidestreet . I mean look at the picture, there's garbage bins lining the whole lane.

And one of the things I've always said that Australia is great at doing is celebrating their own. Canadians are sometimes stuck with celebrating what the American's are doing, almost through osmosis. But why not AC/DC?

Rolling Stone Magazine (which is usually a shit magazine) got it right when they said, "Angus Young and AC/DC are almost single handedly responsible for Australian rock & roll today."

In the Australian Recording Industry Association's defence, they did name AC/DC to their Hall of fame in the first year of the Hall of Fame's existence (1988) along with other Aussie legends Slim Dusty, and legendary producers Vanda and Young (Easybeats fame).

I'm done with this topic...I could write for a year on it. That's the great thing about a blog, you can decide half-way through writing a piece that you're done with that. It's not like I have an editor telling me that I have a deadline, or I have to write about something of relevance.

Great Australian musicians today include Bernard Fanning (originally, and still of Powderfinger fame). Go buy Odyssey Number 5 or Vulture Street. And I've always said that Airbourne will be one of the next great rock bands...they're not very well known outside of Melbourne yet.

Australia also has some legends that deserve respect - Jimmy Barnes of Cold Chisel fame - who was considered to become the new singer of AC/DC after Bon Scott's death in 1980, John Farnham, The Bee Gees, Men at Work, INXS - who would have been one of the best bands ever if not for the death of Michael Hutchince. Midnight Oil was good, but they didn't have enough of a catalogue to be considered great. Same for Silverchair, but they're still going.

that's it.

On a competely unrelated note, this guy does a great job dancing...check it out here...Hilarious

I should probably post Bobby Knight playin golf again...what a madman.

P.S. - Big David is dead...long live Medium David

1 Comments:

At 12:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home